Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The shearing of a sheep!!!













Well we finally got Peep sheared and well...I think the pictures tell it best. She did NOT like it but I have to believe that she's cooler and happier. What was funny was Bo never left her side so basically he was in the way the whole time.

We had 2 boys from the area come do the job. They do sheep for 4H and they said they would get her done for us. I don't think they thought it would take over 2 hours. Thank goodness she's just a miniature sheep. But they did a good job. She doesn't look done because she got away and it had been 2 hours so we decided it was good enough.

I learned some interesting things watching them do this. First, once they cut for a while they get down to the clean wool. Since wool is so thick the dirt doesn't get all the way down to their skin. So it was cool to watch her go from gray to white. Second, if you don't shear your sheep they can suffocate and die. The wool around their neck gets too thick and they get too hot and die. So I guess it was a good thing we did it. Third, our sheep have pink skin. And most breeds (according to my sheep shearing experts) have white skin.

Zach had a friend come over today and they had a great time watching the shearing, playing on the boat, playing rodeo and then Zach got stung by a bee. That sort of ended the days fun. But all in all it was a good, hot, fun day.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That is one mangey sheep! :-) Give Zach a kiss for me-good thing he isn' alergic to bees!