Ben has been gone for the past 2 days at a training and he took the computer with him. I'm always horrified when he takes HIS computer the HIS job provided to go to WORK. Anyway it was all well and good. Ben won Trainer of the Year for the ENTIRE state of Utah!! How cool is that??!! I always knew he was good but it's good to see everyone else thinks so also.
And what a difference a couple days can bring. On Monday afternoon I was told that I could no longer teach students private lessons through the school and give them Art credit for it. Well I was shocked. This was a GREAT class and I had quite a few students and more signing up this semester. It gave kids the chance to get Art credit without having to be in the classroom EVERY day. I had mostly boys (which is a miracle) and they were playing, practicing and enjoying learning the piano. I have tons of support from parents and we were all pretty upset about this turn of events. For some students it has caused a huge problem in schedules and a mad dash to try to find another class to get Art credit so they can graduate. So why was this class cancelled?? The reasons are money, money and I think money.
But Tuesday the FABULOUS principal and counselor came up with a plan. If these students came to me privately and paid me directly the High School would give them credit. So I had to go to all these parents and ask them to now start paying for what was free last week. I felt so bad and I don't think that's very fair but I did it. I went to all the parent's and told them what was going on as best as I could understand it. And here's the SHOCKER they ALL decided to keep taking lessons from me and pay for them!!! I was told by the parents that this is a good program, their kids enjoy it, they get High School credit, and I'm doing a good job teaching. These parents aren't happy about having to pay $$$ for their kids to get credit but they are willing to do it. I hope this experience shows the people that made the decision to cut the class that it's a valuable class, kids and parents enjoy it and it was thriving and growing. So thank you to all those parents to sticking by me and supporting me and this class.
On the homecoming front, today is Toga day and I think I might skip this one. I just don't think I can pull off a Little Mermaid sheet all day. But there are fun festivities and games tomorrow night. FYI tomorrow afternoon I will be infested with first grade girls. Jordynn and her best friend Haily are having a combined birthday party HERE!!! YEAH!! It won't be that bad, there's only going to be 6 of them. But we're having a pinata! Yeah it's January so this thing will be swung at and broken in my HOUSE!! I'm sure I'll have tons of pictures to share this great event with all my readers!! Have a good day!!
3 comments:
Sounds like a busy few days. I at glad that at leasty the art thing sort of worked out. Good luck with the 1st graders.
I personally was waiting to see the toga thing.
Congrats on the music lesson thing working out. I've generally found that parents pay for what they really think is important!
Congrats to Ben! Awesome! Is there a pay raise involved?????? (You wish!)
MA
Good luck you don't have all my first grade girls: that would have been 16 of them! Then you'd want to run screaming to another state (which isn't far to go!)
MA
Post a Comment